What are Tier 2 Visas?

Tier 2 is an immigration route for non-European Economic Area (EEA) migrants who wish to work in the UK. These migrants must be sponsored by an organisation or company that holds a Tier 2 licence. A licence is a permission given to an organisation to sponsor workers in its business. The organisation is known as a sponsor.

For Practices: Tier 2 sponsorship is an opportunity for practices that are having difficulty recruiting to vacant GP posts, to employ migrant Drs who will generally have completed their training in the UK. It doesn’t guarantee that you will fill your vacancy, but it opens up a new pool of Drs who are able to apply for your vacancies.

Tier 2 Factsheet for practices

For Trainees: GP Trainees are sponsored by HEE, but that sponsorship ends when they complete training and so must find employment with a new sponsoring organisation or must return to their home country. The maximum time that a Tier 2 migrant may be in the UK under a Tier 2 visa is 6 years. After 5 years, the migrant may apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain). A migrant Tier 2 Dr who has also trained in the UK will have already been in the UK under Tier 2 for a number of years and so the period of sponsorship may be limited before indefinite leave to remain may be granted. A sponsoring licence is valid for 4 years – but it can be renewed. During this period a sponsor can sponsor a number of migrant workers, so is good for immediate vacancies and succession planning.

If you have any queries about your visa as a trainee you should contact HEE as soon as possible. If you have specific questions relating to your visa you should contact the Home Office

Tier 2 Factsheet -Information for Doctors

If you are a Tier 2 trainee and have not already contacted Claire please email Claire.gooder@nhs.net and provide your name, GMC number, CCT date and details of your final placements – you can then be added to the database